Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Chair Whisperer

Pimp My Armchair

I was going through old emails at work and found these pics. They're of an armchair that I bought from a junk shop in Footscray for $40. I sent them to myself so I could show my upholsterer, so he could quote me on recovering.

I have since had it recovered and it looks fantastic. Everyone loves a makeover, so here you go...

Before





When I bought it, the chair was covered in grotty, sack-like fabric with water stains and divots in the seat. The structure was pretty solid except for a slight movement in the back.

After







The fabric I re-covered it in is a large scale charcoal ombre stripe. My upholsterer braced the frame to fix the movement. He removed the old wadding and replaced it with new wadding. He stripped back the timber legs. He pattern matched the stripe so it runs front to back, and also across the arms and seat. He even upholstered the dark part of the stripe at the front of the arms where I'd rest my hands and placed upholstered panels on the front of the arms.

No comments: